news & updates

IELTS, TOEFL or PTE? What to prefer to which country?

There seems to be a general confusion between students, as to what English based test to prefer among the popular three, IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE. One factor you should definitely consider is the country (ies) you’re planning to study in.


All the USA Universities accept both TOEFL and IELTS-Academic, whereas PTE is accepted by majority of the Universities,

Check PTE website for info.


If you’re going to Canada for only studies and are not looking to settle down, you can choose any of TOEFL or IELTS Academic, since Universities accept both. PTE is accepted by most of the Universities if not all. 

 But, if you want to settle down after your study and work permit period, the Canadian Immigration requires IELTS- General to apply for Permanent residence. Which means, you have to write English based tests twice- once for your University application and once for your Work permit. Here, we advise students to choose IELTS – Academic for University application because it is almost similar to IELTS- General, which you have to definitely write to apply for Permanent Residence.

Australia & New Zealand-

Australia & New Zealand Universities and Immigration, both accept TOEFL, IELTS Academic and PTE. But since the score validity is for two years, students might have to re-take the test while applying for Work-permit.

Finally, toughness wise the three tests don’t differ much.  Remember that TOEFL and PTE are computer based tests, whereas IELTS is Paper based. 

IELTS, TOEFL or PTE? What to prefer to which country?